Friday, January 10, 2014

A Tale of Two Coffee Makers

 About a year ago, we were visiting our daughter and discovered a new Saeco Syntia automatic Cappuccino maker on her countertop.

Dianne loved the coffee it made, so we ordered one a few months later, in early April.

But, Dianne did not like the foamed milk ours made. It was large bubbles rather than the nice foam from Suzanne's machine. So, I obtained a certificate for repair and took it to a depot. They found a problem and fixed it. Alas, it did not fully fix the machine.

I tried all the programming options but Dianne was not satisfied and did not want coffee from it from about last October.

She was right, the foam was not very good, and reviews on the web show that we were not alone in our judgement. Fortunately, we too had bought the machine from Costco, so a few days ago I returned it for a full refund. And, no hassles about it either.

So, I looked into getting a better machine and came across the Jura ENA 9 One-Touch. My friend Peter had told me about the I Drink Coffee store in Milton, just to the West. So, since they have a showroom, off we went for a demo. We both agreed this was the machine for us. Pavel did a great job of demonstrating the machine, and did a price match with a web site. Great store.  www.idrinkcoffee.com

So, here it is on our counter:


See that black item on the left? That is the milk cooler. It was included as part of the price match. It uses Pelletier effect cooling to keep the milk at 39 degrees F - which is the optimum temperature for milk frothing. Who knew? Works great and the micro foam is superb.

See the glass on the right? Yes, the one with the Latte Machiatto in it. Looks nice and tastes great. And, the glass is high tech too! It's made by Bodum, borosilicate glass, mouth-blown, double walled too!

I don't know how many coffees we have had in the last 24 hours, but it sure exceeds the recommended daily dose. Or, maybe even the recommended weekly dose...

Dianne really likes the micro foam frothed milk made by this machine.

So, a good return, a good purchase.






6 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks and sounds like a great machine. Does it start with beans or do you have to grind them separately first? I rarely have fancy coffee drinks these days due to the sugar and milk. The exception is an occasional americano...

    Nice addition. Maybe you should open a B&B...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has bean hopper and grinder, plus a water tank. The One Touch designation says it all ... except that it is programable for length of water, length of frothed milk for each of cappucino and latte machiatto. Also, it has a hot water pipe so you can prepare a single cup of tea for those who don't drink coffee.

      Very high quality, Swiss made product.

      Delete
  2. Ed:

    I can't believe it. I can't wait to come back. I'll have a new remodeled washroom, new shower, and great coffee while watching a movie in your new Theatre. you'll never get rid of me. Free fast internet and inside parking

    You have a dream home . . .

    I have an older Saeco manual machine but I have a Starbucks brand burr grinder. Too much work to fire up and then manually pack the grinds in that little handle and manually froth up the milk

    Dianne must be very happy. Come to think of it I don't remember having any coffee while I was there

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you get too much coffee? I mean, really..... I don't think so.

    That is quite the machine you have there. I can imagine how good the coffee is.

    I'd really be in heaven with your machine. I take an iced vanilla soy latte with me every day to work.

    May you have many years of problem free yummy coffee drinks from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coffee has become so complicated, but it sounds delicious. Just a large cappuccino please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah the demon bean, one can never have too much. We have recently started making coffee with a French Press and love it. Instead of drinking multiple cups of mediocre coffee I now have 1 or 2 cups of fabulous coffee. Unfortunately my espresso maker hooped a couple of years ago and I haven't bothered replacing it. Lovely looking machine.

    ReplyDelete